Tuesday, June 8, 2010

It didn't kill us

As I slather sunscreen on my kids and try and think of new and interesting ways for them to eat fruit with every meal, I have to stop and laugh. I have the world's best mom, but we did not wear SPF anything growing up. My sister and I did, however, know how to climb up onto the asphalt roof, put down an old bedspread so our swimsuit clad hineys wouldn't burn on the shingles, and then smear ourselves with baby oil. It made for a great shade of brown. Most summers the three of us kids ended up looking like the original Oklahomans. We had some friends who had pale, ghostly looking boys and they had to wear strong prescription strength sunscreen. These kids, like glow worms, were so white that they were easy to spot in the dark on a summer's night, but I always felt sorry for them.
Obsessing over ingredients and shunning packaged food? I think not. A peanut butter and jelly (made with Wonder Bread) a handful of Doritos, and some Country Time lemonade was a great lunch for us. Yes, if all of the literature on high fructose corn syrup being from the devil had been out in the 80's my mom most certainly would not have let us have some of the snacks we enjoyed. But we did. And it wasn't a big deal. And we were happy.
At 28, 30, and 31 none of us have ill effects from our sun exposure or not eating five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. Makes me stop and hand the boys some Pringles.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

would i have been such a happy, chubby kid had i not eaten so many poptarts and hostess cupcakes? i think not.

Emilia said...

Oh my! I was just about to work on my next post being about eating that sort of summer food! Now, you've really inspired me! Plus, I had told myself that this summer would be the summer that I would smear the SPF 80 on the kids every day at the beach and Rachel would thank me someday, as I study the reflection in the mirror, for not having crow's feet and smile lines at 31. Maybe.

Elizabeth Mullins said...

I have had some of the same thoughts...no sunscreen and hotdogs, mac and cheese or ramen as a post game meal didn't affect our performance too much! Great post!

Gena said...

Hand them a Pringle, girl. I'll break out the Pop Tarts. :)