Wednesday, June 16, 2010

If you happen across a two dollar bill...

A couple of weeks ago I had to collect money for something. Someone paid me in two $2 bills. I swapped them for my ones and decided to hang on to them.
Then, a few days ago my niece lost a tooth. And it reminded me of the time that I was babysitting overnight for a family of four boys. Apparently, the youngest boy had lost a tooth, because right before bed he said sadly, "Well, I guess I'll try again, maybe the tooth fairy will come tonight." His parents had forgotten to swap out the tooth for money! My sister, who was keeping me company at the house, and I got together and gave that little boy the best tooth fairy experience ever. We found a pile of shiny change and put it under his pillow and left a trail of glitter for him to find in the morning.
All of this has set me to thinking. I think I want our tooth fairy to leave two dollar bills. I mean, they are rare. Haven't you heard the expression "as queer as a two dollar bill?" If that kind of money isn't fairy-ish I don't know what is. I want to keep things as magical and special as I can while I can. I probably have a year before David starts losing teeth. But still, all those teeth times two boys, I better get cracking on my two dollar bill collecting. So, if anyone happens across one, let me know. I'll trade you two ones, eight quarters, or twenty dimes for it.

6 comments:

Kayla said...

I have one that was given to me when i was young. You can also leave silver dollars and half dollars and susan b anthony dollars....those are special and rare too! We have all those but I want to keep them :)

Ashley said...

You are so cute! Thanks for the laugh tonight; I needed it!

Elizabeth Mullins said...

My grandpa gives us $2 bills for special occasions. I have always liked that!

April said...

I'm not looking forward to helping pull the teeth! Austin watched the Tooth Fairy movie last week before he went to the dentist...it was really cute!

Emilia said...

At first I was tearing up, I don't know why. Then I was baffled, because I only vaguely remember that experience. Then I felt sad again, because I felt old, not remembering your story. Then I was just laughing because you are so funny and what a creative idea!
Thanks for the roller coaster of emotion.

April, there is a tooth fairey movie???

Tessa said...

I think you can get them from your bank. My neighbor gives her grandkids (and my kids) $2 bills for their birthdays.