Thursday, June 3, 2010

Eight is NOT enough

We went to sign up for the summer reading program at the library. When I got home to look at the packets, I was pretty disappointed in the standards they have set. It's all pretty much left up to what and how you want to do it, and basically to meet the first goal you need to read eight books, eight hours, or eight hundred pages. Trust me, it was much, much more difficult to earn a personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut and free ice cream from Dairy Queen when I was a kid.
I just get frustrated with standards being set lower and lower. And maybe if I hadn't required reading logs as a teacher and always gotten a ton of complaints, these low standards wouldn't bother me so much. But they do. Here is the one I heard the most, "Billy hates reading, why should he read for thirty minutes a day five times a week?" Um, Billy hates it because he can't read well, and he can't read well because he hasn't had enough practice. I always wanted to require Billy to read more, definitely not less.
There are sixty days to complete the reading program. And two goals of eight books/hours/hundred pages isn't enough for kids. Don't even say that summer is a time to relax- the requirements allow kids to read comic books, magazines, or even listen to books on audio. What about any of those choices aren't relaxing? Anyone who has taught will tell you that a child's ability to read and to read well plays into every other aspect of school and every subject.
We have been playing outside a lot and then realizing that it's gotten late and it's bedtime. I would rather skip bathing and forgo hygiene that short our reading time together. It's too important.
There, I've vented. I feel a little better. Think I'll go read a book and calm down a little more.

11 comments:

Jessica said...

Yes, I completely agree. I asked the girl at the library twice, to be sure that I understood. 8 books? Thats crazy. And you don't even have to show your reading log to them. When I taught Kindergarten, I had parents complaining about the reading homework. So sad....

Jessica said...

preach it nat. from one former teacher to another, i completely agree.

The Hudkins Family said...

Amen girl.

Emilia said...

That is really upsetting. Very disappointing. I'm posting this all around! Someone should do something about it!

Emily said...

I am laughing bc not 2 minutes ago, I was on the library website and I was like, "Eight?! Eight books?! That's IT?!"

And YES Billy needs to be reading an hour a night. Don't even get me started on parents not reading/talking to their children.

The McDowells said...

Hey Natalie,

I picked up a thing from Barnes and Noble today for their reading program and you just have to read 8for that too (You get a free book when completed). Our library's starts next week. I am bothered by the lowering of the standards too, that is one of the reasons why we have chosen to homeschool.

On the microwave chips, yes, I have a mandolin, it is one I got in Germany a lonnnnggg time ago. Not the fanciest, but it does the job.

Kayla said...

We are going to sign up on Monday! I'm very surprised it is only 8. If everyone tells them that is crazy, maybe they will change it! It should be at least one book a day right?

I would so have my kids homeschooled if someone else will do it! So if anyone would like to volunteer, let me know!!

Natalie Hudkins said...

Yes, or it's eight hours (not long enough for an elementary schooler in my opinion.) Eight hundred pages is a decent (albeit weird) goal for middle school students but they usually don't sign up for that sort of thing.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

So true! I get so sad when I talk with a lot of the families I work with. Some of these kids invovled with CPS have NEVER had a book read to them. I go to thier homes and there are NO books! Are you kidding me? It is appalling! One of the first things I ask families to do is go get a FREE library card. Reading to your kids when they are little is so important! And for the record, Levi is in bed, very stinky and sweaty because we skipped bath to read extra chapters in his "chapter book". Families need more time speant doing this sort of thing. Period. Great post Nat. Your such a good mommy! =)

Emilia said...

I am wondering what "chapter book" Amanda is reading to Levi. I think my kids are old enough to follow along too. Any suggestions?
There are no reading programs here that I know of... there isn't the children's lit culture here that I have noticed. A classic Italian read probably dates back to the 1500s! Dante maybe?

Michelle said...

Happened upon your blog this morning...

I told my 11 year old, almost 12 year old that he had to do the 800 pages, even though I think he could do the 8 books and it would still count. So far he hasn't questioned me :) As far as the 8 books, we met that goal the other night reading to the dogs at the library! At least one a day would be a good goal....sheesh!