Tuesday, November 3, 2009

And we're done.

With school that is. Well, just Drew. I couldn't do it one more morning. I wanted him to go to school, for me and for him. He's social, he likes to learn, he seems bored sometimes at home. I knew when we started that it would be an adjustment. He had a few good days, but on the whole, Drew did not like going. He told me in no uncertain terms. And while I tried to tell him that it was a fun, happy place where he painted and played on the playground, he's no fool. Drew repeatedly would tell me, "School is not a happy place. McDonald's is a happy place." He also told us over and over that his teacher said, "Stop it. Stop it. Stop it." I am sure with seven two year old boys and one helper that she had a legitimate reason to say that. But something inside me thinks that she may have told Drew that in regards to him crying. I know that the teacher does a fine job. After all, her son is in the class and the other kids seem happy enough, even the one who bites. I won't make the mistake of putting the blame on her. And since Drew can't talk well enough to tell me all of the reasons why he would get panicky at the thought of even going to school, I'll probably never know for sure what spooked him so bad. I counted up that we gave it a try about fifteen times. While I don't give in to Drew's whims, I have to listen to him on this one. He told me as best as he could that he was unhappy and scared. I know that the directors bent over backwards to help him. I started crying a little when the head of the school told me she had been thinking about him all weekend and praying for him. I feel like we were so close to him having great, happy days with people who loved him.
So in the spirit of Michelle Duggar and the Pioneer Woman, I am home schooling my sensitive son for the remainder of the year. Since he wants to know what moose, hippos and whales eat, and asks me on a daily basis this should be fun.
He's little, we can try again when he's three years old and for now I am going to enjoy my time with him. Errands will get run eventually and clean houses are overrated.

7 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

WEll done. WEll said. You won't regret it! I am proud of you! I have had to make a few of those type of decisions lately too...not with Day School, but with listening to what the kid's need more instead of what I think HAS to be done a certain way!

The McDowells said...

Well, I think you made the right decision! Good for you! I don't think you are "giving into his whims" on this, but doing what you think is best overall for him. I don't have anything against MDO programs, but I totally think you are doing the best thing pulling him out.

Gena said...

I'm sorry. I know you were excited about a few hours to yourself. I think you're doing what's best for him though. :)

Kayla said...

Sorry he didn't like it. We like playdates! Just let me know when you want one!

Newberry said...

You're a good mom, Natalie. It sounds like you gave it a fair chance so I think you can say you are doing what is right for Drew, not giving into him. Every kid's different. Sorry you'll miss out on the alone time to get things done.

Shannon said...

I hate it that the teacher used Stop it.. that is such a negative and you should limit the negatives with positive reinforcement and redirection.

He will be fine and dandy.. the poor kids have the rest of their life to go to school.

Carrie said...

This warms my heart. Good job, Mommy!