Monday, September 27, 2010

Pride goeth before a trip

I got some heels at T.J. Max last week. And I was all excited to wear them to church. See, I have been wearing flats for the past several years. I just have to lug too much around that place and I have needed stable shoes.
So anyway, I got cocky. Had my cute pumps and a new dress. I was pretty pleased with myself. I didn't even pack that much since both boys are old enough to go to "Creation Station." Little did I know that I was going to have to practically run out of church and Nikes would have been a more sensible option.
Drew's asthma has been bad. And the cure has been almost as bad as the illness. We are taking both boys to an allergist in a week to get this sorted out. But for now, if Drew can't breathe, and we give him his medicine, he acts like a crack head. I thought we were okay Sunday morning. Until Drew started panicking when we were sitting in the pew that he couldn't find Keith. Keith was passing the plates and we located him and he even waved. But then Drew got really schizo on me and was like, "Why isn't he coming back? What's he doing? I need Daddy." I dug out quarters for him to put in the offering tray and David and I kept telling Drew that Daddy would come back and sit with us in a minute. This didn't satisfy Drew. All of a sudden he looked at me with panic and yelled, "Ican'tstopwhiningIcan'tstopwhiningWAAAAAAAA!!!" Boy howdy I picked that forty pounder up so fast and started trucking it down the stairs saying, "C'mon David, right now." I think I even patted my leg like poor David was a dog. At one point Drew threw his cup down and I think I heard someone gasp. David loyally retrieved it and kept jogging beside me towards the doors. Then, my foot fell out of my silly heel and I was gimping along with a still screaming kid. It was a nightmare.
I passed Drew off like a hot potato to Keith. David and I went on to Creation Station. Keith says he talked sense into Drew and a few minutes later Drew wandered into class with the other kids where he was totally normal the whole time.
Guess we're not over public tantrums yet. Next Sunday I'll wear something more fit to run and lift in.

5 comments:

Emily said...

I've been wearing flats for a few years now too. I have two preschoolers...like I'm going to wear heels. But I decided that this year I was getting myself a new pair of heels.

I forgot about all the out of church trips......rethinking heels......

Jessica said...

maybe keep the heels and just move down to the lower section...it would atleast alleviate the heels/stairs combo?

Gena said...

I'm sorry, but that was the best entertainment of the morning. We weren't laughing at you, just smiling because we've all been there at some point. You were actually adorable in your dress and heels. I love it how you can muscle two boys around and look so cute- You're like the picture of fitness.

Kayla said...

I thought you looked cute and graceful running out of church!!

Newberry said...

You poor thing, Natalie! I can relate to that story on multiple levels. I'm glad that both you and Drew survived, and if I would have been there I would have brought you shoe to you!