Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Spiders and Devils

That's Drew holding up his spider muffin cups yesterday. Yes, we did M.T.M. again. I went to Hobby Lobby last week and used my 40% coupon to buy spider (the kids are fascinated with arachnids) cupcake holders. They ended up being $3. Reusable and worth it.
In other news, I have never been anti-Halloween. I kinda laugh that all the school parties have to be called "Harvest Celebrations." I know people that absolutely do not celebrate the season and I never really understood it. Sure, I know there is some bad stuff behind the original holiday, but if you dress your kids up as elephants and dogs does it matter? I understood the reasons for completely skipping it all together when David came up to me and said excitedly, "Now I know how the Devil looks. He is red and has a tail!" Crud. He saw a costume. At Old Navy no less. He has been full of questions about the devil before and I would rather him not have a visual. Last year, at David's ultra conservative church mother's day out (say that three times fast) he asked his teacher what the devil looked like. And she replied, "The devil can wear many faces, he can even make himself look like an angel." I know this is what she said because David can repeat it verbatim. I would rather my kid's fix their thoughts on good things and not dwell on mummies and Frankensteins and horror stuff. Which is why I will take a race car driver and a cheeseburger to get candy from our neighbors. You guess which kid will be which.

2 comments:

The Hudkins Family said...

Is Drew the cheeseburger?

Newberry said...

I agree. I'm a fan of Halloween, but not of devil costumes. They seem to be everywhere! By the way, have I ever told you that you are funny?