Monday, October 4, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Playdough

Wow, now that I have posted this picture, it actually looks kinda nasty. That's play dough sitting on my kitchen counter, I swear.
Anyway, David's teacher asked me to make a batch of this for this week's centers. It turned out really, really well. So well that I ended up making a turquoise batch for us to play with on Saturday. Since OU/TX was playing and I was trying to keep the boys from bugging Keith and their uncle, we made a whole project out of it. After we had played with it for not kidding, an entire hour, we divided the turquoise batch up in plastic bags, hitched the wagon to David's jeep and distributed our gifts to our neighborhood buddies. It was priceless. David and Drew would take turns knocking on doors and surprising the kids (every house in our neighborhood has one or more kids under the age of six) with their bags of dough. David would shout, "This is for you!!!" And Drew would chime in, "Enjoy." Then they would run back to their car and drive to the next house. They were so serious about their mission.

In case you want to make a batch-

Pumpkin Playdough

This smells GREAT! So if your kid is little or kinda weird remind them not to eat it.

5 1/2 cups flour
2 cups salt
8 teaspoons cream of tartar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 ( 1 and 1/2 ounce) container of pumpkin pie spice
Orange food coloring (2 parts yellow, 1 part red)
4 cups water

Mix all the ingredients together. Cook and stir over medium heat until all lumps disappear. Knead the dough on a floured surface until it is smooth. Store in an airtight container.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

i love their playdough delivery system. wish we lived in your neighborhood...for many reasons other than just getting a free bag of playdough.

Kayla said...

I've never heard of adding pumpkin spice. I'll have to! I've made koolaide playdough. I also love making baking soda clay. It can air dry and you can paint it, make magnets, whatever. Love love kid crafts!!

April said...

Will have to try this! Thanks for sharing

Catcher In My Eye said...

I am afraid I'd have to eat it! I am ready to play! :)