Friday, September 3, 2010

An easy little recipe

I have a friend who, when we were making plates of food for our kids, said, "Oh, my kids eat what I tell them to eat, or they don't eat. They can have bread and water if they don't like it." My boys? Might take the bread and water option more often than I would like. I know people who have had good luck drawing a firm line in the sand with their kids food wise. I haven't done that because we have had enough sleep issues, I had to rule out hunger as a reason for waking when they were smaller, so I somewhat cater to their palates. They aren't picky, they just wouldn't dive into a casserole. (There are meals where I serve them new things, I just try and make sure there is always one or two items they will eat so it's not a battle.) Anyway, that's why I have several things I prepare that make everyone happy. I don't know if you could even call this a recipe. It's just a mixture of something I once had at my sister-in-law Angelia's and something my friend Jessica makes. Here goes-

  • Spray crock pot with Pam
  • Dump in about a pound of boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Dump in two cans of mild Rotel
  • Drain and rinse a can of black beans, dump in
  • Cook on low for around four hours. Depends, sometimes I have thrown in frozen chicken breasts, so you might test the chicken about an hour before. Turn up to high if it seems pretty raw. I don't want to give your family salmonella.

Then here is what I do-

  • Take out a chicken breast, cut in pieces and divide among two flour tortillas, add cheese and ketchup for David (yuck), only cheese for Drew. Roll up for chicken soft tacos. The chicken is not spicy from the mild Rotel, it's just really juicy.
  • Keith and I eat the chicken breasts with black beans and the tomatoes. I put some medium Joe T. Garcia salsa (buy it at Crest, it's the best salsa ever) and a little bit of the grated cheddar on top of the chicken.

It's not much more work to prepare it that way and for me, better than the "eat black beans or you shall dine on bread" option.

5 comments:

Kayla said...

I'm pretty sure I've only used my crockpot once...I should try this!

Ashley said...

Yummy! This sounds delicious! I'm all about crock pot meals. Do your kids like stuffing? If so, I found a great recipe I can email you, and it is crock pot recipe too....

Natalie Hudkins said...

Thanks Ashley! Drew might eat stuffing, we can always try it. :)

Shannon said...

We do that too! Here is my recipe. http://www.couponprincess.net/2010/01/recipe.html I turn this meat dish into enchiladas!

The McDowells said...

Hey Natalie,

Sorry it took me a couple days to respond!

The kids turn over their card and put it in the back (I help Charlie) and then they know when they are done with everything, when they see the "done!" in front. So far, they don't mind the different chores, Macy knows she gets paid more because she is older and has more responsibilty.

I am glad we have the blogs to keep in touch!