Another trip to Crest. This time I let Drew walk, and David sit in the car attached to the front of the cart. Everything I bought that David liked went up front with him. This resulted in David deciding that this was his food and needed to be sacked separately. Before I realized what he was doing, he had marched up to the clerk with his chocolate milk and said, "Excuse me sir, can you please skin my milk for me?"
"Um, I think you mean scan David," I said. I was starting to get flustered because in front of me David was trying to take charge and behind me Drew was working to lift the eggs onto the conveyor belt. I hurriedly tried to put all breakables away from Drew while letting him throw the bread and vegetables to the clerk. Lucky for me Drew tired of this quickly and went to stand by the sacker and dance with a yellow bell pepper that he had chosen earlier. Drew really wasn't bothering anyone else on the planet, so I ignored him and focused on pushing the cart to the sacker so that we could get our groceries out of there.
I sort of felt bad, because David kept needing his items personally "skinned" and the whole experience was rather chaotic. But, neither child was really being naughty. And although I think that we were preferable to the jillions of ladies that I see talking on their cell phone through the whole checkout experience (I think it's rude and that people should engage and exchange pleasantries) I decided to apologize. I also offered that sometimes I wanted to claim that I was their babysitter but that they were in fact my offspring. The cashier's reply was, "Aw, dey is better than some kids I seen." I think that was meant as a compliment. My kids are slightly better behaved than some of the other grocery store brats. Aw, I'll take it.
4 comments:
I got a parenting comment from the cashier at the video store today. I told Austin to get where I could see him and she said she wished other parents would say that. I think they see some pretty bratty kids and David and Drew definitely aren't. Austin? That's another story. lol
"Some kids I seen" = My kids
i bet she be right about dem dere kids.
I bet they enjoy things like that. I'm sure that job can get monotonous!
Post a Comment