When I was growing up, we had this card game we used to always play called Skip-Bo. We'd pull it out in the winter, or take it on vacation, and we all loved it. I am happy to announce that David has taken to playing Skip-Bo's much younger cousin- Uno. Actually, Mickey Uno to be exact. This is a happy mini milestone for me because it is the first game that David and I are able to play that has a small degree of strategy and requires more thought than flicking a spinner. I love how serious David is about playing it and how he understands that if he thinks about which cards to put down he can use up more cards on one turn. He was really tired last night, but I couldn't resist a few rounds before stories. I reminded him that if he won, I'd be happy for him, and if I won just to say, "Congratulations" and not to get upset. I won the second game. David's mouth turned down, his shoulders slumped, he stared at his cards, and then, "Well Congratulations!" It's small, but I was so proud of him!
My little Pee-Wee hasn't been having such an easy time. Everything has been making Drew burst into dramatic tears. Does anyone else hope that their child has a illness that requires a quick round of antibiotics because then the behavior would be easily solved? The alternative of "a difficult phase" is so much less desirable. Drew did have a cold earlier in the week, and I think it has left him feeling crummy. However, I could not explain this to the cashier at the store. I came barreling up to her counter waving a banana and saying, "I need to pay for this now." Drew was about five seconds from a melt down, and I just wanted to give him a snack to head it off. Stupid me peeled it for him. Which resulted in screams and tears and snot and me diving into the already sacked rest of the bananas to hand him one to peel on his own. Not having anywhere to put the mangled original banana I stuck it in the pocket of my sweatshirt. Yes-eeew. Like I said, we can only hope it's a mild ear infection. I can't revert back to unreasonable tantrums.
2 comments:
I hear you on the anti-biotics thing. I usually can tell if the kid's have an ear infection because they are absolutel unbearable. It is amazing how they can melt down so quickl on you too!
i love skip-bo and uno, but i don't suggest uno attack...it's really annoying. but what i love more is that you don't let david win and you teach him to be a good loser. you're such a good mom nat!
Post a Comment