Every year right before December 20th, I wonder why we chose to get married five days before Christmas. As I was trudging through the mall carrying two very large toys and one teeny striped sack with hot pink tissue paper (yeah, you know which store I am talking about) I couldn't help but wish we had gotten married in the summer. But then I remember that my sister got married the previous July, and I was teaching, so Christmas break seemed like the logical choice back then. After all, Keith and I already had Scout out of wedlock and we were trying to share canine custody, so it made since to not wait until the following summer. Oh, and we were madly in love.
Anyway, our first Christmas together was in Cancun, Mexico. And it felt very, very weird to be so far away from our families. Sure, there were people singing and the sun was shining but it wasn't the same. I remember feeling very guilty because Keith was my new family, but I missed my mom, dad, sister and brother. I wondered if I would feel a little bereft every Christmas, even if I were in Oklahoma.
My worry was unnecessary. Each year we get to see our families, but we have our own traditions. Christmas morning is all ours. We are happy together. When all is said and done, I don't even mind that our anniversary blurs with Christmas and that on our date tonight we may pick up one last toy for Drew since the boys will be at my parents' house.
I adore Keith. I love our life together. Marrying him six years ago was the best decision I ever made.
Yesterday, after watching Christmas Dora, Drew came up and said, "Feliz Navidad." That phrase will always hold special meaning for me. It reminds me of a wonderful honeymoon and Keith. I'm still madly in love with him.
10 comments:
happy anniversary natalie (and keith). i still remember that day six years ago too...fun memories, but that red bridesmaid dress would probably only fit around one of my thighs six years later. very sad.
happy anniversary nat...sweet story!
Happy Anniversary! I admire you for buying something from the store with pink tissue paper 6 years later.
Today is Kendall's birthday. Whenever people ask what we were thinking having a Christmas baby, I'm like, Uh...we weren't!
How sweet! You and Keith seem so wonderful together, and it is obvious that you have such a close family. By the way, I love Christmas weddings. Our anniversary was the 17th. When you are a teacher, your options are limited :)
And you got the BEST sister in law in the whole wide world!!!
Happy anniversary! You guys love each other so much....it's sweet.
Happy Anniversary Natalie! Always love your stories!
Natalie---you are so incredibly sweet. I love the way that you write, expressing your deep feelings so beautifully...you have a wonderful gift! Happy Anniversary! Love you, Mary
I thought about you this past week when I saw the red bridesmaid dress hanging in my closet! You are so blessed and I your family is truly precious.
I hope you have a wonderful New Year!
Aww! I love this post. Jimmy and I were married 5 years ago on the 17th. I remember when I was planning my wedding and doing my practicum at DCMS. You were about to celebrate your first anniversary!
I have the same thought sometimes, but almost in the same breath I think, "Nevermind. It was a beautiful season to get married!" I love when all the decorations go up every year and it is nostalgic of planning our wedding and the gorgeous evening with the church decorated in Christmas trees and poinsettias. This year we postponed our anniversary celebration, but I was sure to tell every kid at school so they'd wish me a Happy Anniversary. Hehee!
Happy Anniversary to you too!
Post a Comment