Drew didn't nap today because of David's one o'clock soccer game and David's naps are becoming increasingly rare. Since Keith had gone to watch football with some friends, the chore of putting both boys to bed fell to me. Overtired kids equal clingy kids, so I started early and determined to remain patient. Somehow, we all ended up in Drew's room and I ended up patting him like a baby until he closed his eyes and surrendered to sleep. David was curled up on a pillow watching and when I went to carry him back to his room he said in a small voice, "I just want to sit in your lap Mom." So I wrapped him in his blue blankey and held him tight.
David will turn four on Thursday. And I have been telling him for the past several months to, "Stay little, please don't turn four." David tells me that he has to get big. He's right. He doesn't fit in my lap any more, even curled up and sleeping. While I remember spending hours holding him as a newborn he doesn't resemble a baby any more. He looks like a kid. I held him for a long time tonight. At some point I realized my cheeks had tears on them. I am so excited about his birthday, the thought of taking him to his first movie, soccer, and all the fun things he learns at school. But oh how I wish that I could slow the clock down a little. People are always telling me it goes by so fast. When I was covered in spit up and getting no sleep, it used to just annoy me. Sometimes I wanted to ask them how to make the years go by faster. Now I know exactly what they mean. Once again I am purposing to stop sweating the small stuff and to enjoy the boys-because gosh I love these two little people.
5 comments:
They do grow so fast (boy, what an old person thing to say!)
What a sweet post! I didn't realize David was playing soccer. How fun! We do need to catch up soon!
Awe.. that is sweet, you made me have tears in my eyes as I read this post!
So sweet Natalie...it's easy when they are little to look forward to the next stage, but I think about the point that David is at is exactly when you realize that you don't want the next stage to come so quick.
I think the thing that people tell you the most and the thing that is the most true is how fast your kids grow up. As they get older it is so fun, but it is also so sad because you know you'll never have those days again. Thanks for the post. It makes me want to go cuddle up next to Mason in bed :)
Post a Comment