Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Four walls

A few years ago we visited some friends who had a toddler. This was before we had kids, so, of course we thought their little boy was the best thing ever. He would run up to us and lift up his shirt and say, "eat corn on cob." Our friend quickly and sheepishly explained that he wanted us to eat his belly like a piece of corn on the cob because that is what they did. We politely declined his offer of corn and just laughed. We weren't about to slobber on his pudgy belly.
Now we have lots of little things we do that probably is best reserved for our house. Case in point, as I put on my make-up every morning, Drew likes to play the Bum Bum drums. And while I think it's both funny and a relief that he is occupied so I can do my face, I wouldn't want him to try the same with someone else. Can you imagine if Drew went to school and started messing with teacher's fannys saying, "Bum diddy bum bum bum!" You can only slap mommy's rear Drew. And there is a cut off age.
David has all the openness of a four year old. He's pretty used to just telling it how it is. But I doubt that the people at the store wanted to see him walking around with his hands stuffed in the back of his britches. "David, do you have to go poop?" I didn't even realize as I said it that this is a phrase that is best whispered. David was equally loud in his response of, "No Mom, my bottom just itches." Lovely.

4 comments:

Newberry said...

As a teacher, and I know you probably think the same thing, I dread the day that Mason goes to school and shares something with his teacher that makes her think, "His parents would die if they knew he told me that!" Oh well, I guess it is inevitable at some point :)

Jessica said...

Troy let's Camden slap his belly in the "Daddy needs a new pair of shoes" fashion. So about a month ago, Troy's work friend Dough came over and Camden was persistent on slapping his belly too. I knew Dough was thinking "what the heck you little weirdo". Hilarious.

Jessica said...

not that it matters, but the guy's name is Doug...pretty sick how i automatically type dough as if i'm daydreaming about cookies.

Kayla said...

Now I'm paranoid about the teacher thing! Haha.