Saturday, October 24, 2009

Where the Frustrated Things Are

Weekends have a different meaning when you are a parent. I have to remind myself that before I had kids that weekends were when I had to do laundry and grocery shop. But Keith and I also could sleep in and do just about anything we wanted and RELAX. Today, David didn't seem like he was going to take a nap, so, for once, I was spontaneous. I took him out of his room, looked up movie times, and told him we were going out. I knew Keith would be watching football, and Drew would still be asleep for a while longer, so I seized my chance. Yeah, laundry needed to be folded and there was clutter from being gone at David's soccer game all morning, but who cared. I needed a little adventure. I wanted it to feel like a Saturday. I wanted to get out of the house with David and take him to his first movie.
I made the mistake of telling David the movie names as I looked up the times, and he insisted that he wanted to see Where the Wild Things Are. He's not even keen on the book, but I am, and I figured it would be cute. Plus the time worked perfectly. I should have known better. I really should have. I have since heard/read that it is a better adult flick. Ugh. I knew that once the initial Wild Thing introduction got over, it would get happy. Which is why I just held David on my lap and tried to whisper him through the scary part. I didn't want to leave the movie on a bad note and he think that the creatures were mean. I wanted to get to the part where they became friendly/funny. To my dismay, a lady came over and said, "That child is scared to death. And, you know, he'll probably have nightmares tonight." I couldn't say anything. I wanted to cry. I just wanted him to see that it did turn out okay. Yes, I should have taken him to the Greek Festival instead.
I have since thought of what I could have said- "You know, when I walked in there were some people smoking while their kids sat next to them, perhaps you should go champion their little pink lungs instead." But of course by the time I thought of these it was too late. I just wanted to do something really fun for my little boy. We got to the part where they all became friends, but ended up leaving early anyway. I am praying that David doesn't have bad dreams. I think by the time David is ready to see another movie, Drew will be old enough to go, and we'll all go as a family. We'll definitely stick with animated flicks with a "G" rating. I had no idea that "damn" was an acceptable word in "PG."
Here's to hoping for some better adventures.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Natalie, I am sorry that this didn't work out how you planned. Darn those PG movies and those people who can't seem to leave a good Momma alone! I am sure that even though you didn't have the words to say you are showing David that you don't have to reply to bullies! Way to go, Mom!

April said...

We have gone to one PG movie and I wasn't a big fan of it. There wasn't cursing, just a scene that upset Austin. You and I actually discussed this movie when you were here a few weeks ago! I hope tonight goes well...let me know! I remember when you dressed up Emilia as Max and told the story to your class...I think it was some kind of student teaching project???

The Seat House said...

I should have warned you...Mary took the kids last weekend and said it was awful and depressing...so disappointing!!!

Jessica said...

Sorry it wasn't all you had imagined...but good for you for embracing fun natalie. And that old bag didn't even deserve a response from you anyway.

Shannon said...

Oh gosh.. that just plain stinks. Thanks for sharing about not seeing that movie!

Emily said...

I've been meaning to comment on this post but I couldn't think of a clever comeback to Rude Lady other than, "Shove it."

I've so been there too. You have something built up in your head about how perfect it's going to go and your kid(s) are going to love it and then it's a huge disaster. I'm with ya, girl.