Saturday, May 30, 2009

Suggestions please?

If you have read some of my other posts, you know by now that we sometimes have a challenging time at the library. It is getting easier, and I am determined to raise bookworms, but picking out good read alouds isn't easy even by yourself. Some of the picture books are so long! I read somewhere that one mom had a rule of thumb- one sentence per page for each year her child was. That actually sounds about right- Drew wants to turn the page after one sentence and David can stay with me for several. Anyway, I love to type in the names of books and put them on reserve at the library, but I am all out of ideas. Also, and I don't know why this annoys me so much, but I can't stand reading books about characters that are on t.v. So, does anyone out there have any good ones for us? In return, and in advance, I will give you a few of our favorites-
Tip Tip Dig Dig and its sequel Toot Toot Beep Beep by Emma Garcia- the first book (it's all about dirt movers) especially is great; it is fun to say the words, and we checked it out so much I have ended up buying it. Both my boys love it.
Tillie Lays and Egg and The Stray Dog. The latter is by Marc Simont and I don't remember who wrote the first. David loves both of these books and they reinforce the days of the week concept in a fun way while still telling a simple story.
Oh, I might as well list my top four...
Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
The Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
The Evening Class by Maeve Binchy
Petey by Ben Mikaelsen (actually a young adult book, used it with one of my advanced classes one year)

5 comments:

Jessica said...

A former first grade teacher should have a pluthera of suggestions, but the ones I always read were longer picture books. One of my favorites in the last few years though was "Yo? Yes!" by Chris Raschka. The pages have one word each and it's all about the punctuation and expression. Although that part may be over David's head, the theme is making friends. I think in reading it a few times and explaining the characters feelings, it could be age appropriate for David? If you read it let me know what you think.

The McDowells said...

Hey Natalie!

Didn't you save your file thing from Dr. Risley Child's Lit class that you can refer to??? Ha.

The kids and I make a weekly trip to the library and I always try to find short good books (I also don't like the TV character books). One we got this week was "Come Along Daisy" about a duck. My kids like it and I have already ready it a bunch to them.

Kayla said...

We actually have not gone to the library in forever! I've bought a ton from the scholastic things they get from school. We have a ton of animal and science ones, weather ones, etc. Letters, numbers, spanish, a lot of educational ones. You can always borrow!

Summer said...

I, too, love Same kind of different...

We love anything by Mo Willems (yes that is an "e"). He is a writer at Sesame Street. He writes board books that Bode likes and he writes stories that Mia likes too (Knuffle Bunny 1 and 2).

Also, Mia loves the Llama Llama Mad at Mama and Llama Llama Red Pajama....can't think of the author.

Bode just likes to look at non-fiction. Mom bought these picture encyclopedias and he is obsessed with the pics. I think I will try and find more of those at the library just to work on vocab with him.

We go to the library on wednesdays and i just let bode tear up the place while i try and read something to Mia. They love us.

Ashley said...

Don't know about the books yet, but Petey is an awesome story! Love it! I read it with some of my kids when I taught, and they loved it too!