Friday, January 8, 2010

They don't come with a road map

I made a lot of rookie mistakes a few years ago- I read way too many conflicting parenting books, compared my kids/situation with others, and obsessed over my boys' shortcomings.
After all that self inflicted worry, I am happy to say that more and more, I feel I made, and am making the right decisions.
Case in point- we used to see a pediatrician that made me feel like I needed to apologize for coming in. While his philosophy was that kids are generally fine and very resilient, it always left me feeling like I needed to justify why I made the appointment.
Wednesday morning Drew told me that a frog was putting dirt in his ear and biting it. Then an hour later he cried and said his cheek hurt. So, sheepishly, I took him in. And our very sweet pediatrician looked in Drew's ears and saw that both were very infected. He had no fever, and was pretty happy, but something told me that I needed to give him the benefit of the doubt and take him to the doctor's.
Drew also usually wakes around midnight every night. Sometimes he needs a drink, or a hug. Sometimes he just comes downstairs and cuddles up with Keith. Yes, I have read the books. I know this is more than likely "habit waking." Maybe we could have a week of tears and then he would stay put. But a few nights ago, he said, "Mom, at night I have the burps, and they make the throw ups in my mouth." Poor kid always has had reflux. He's been on and off several medications for it. And his hearty appetite is his heartburn's worst enemy. I have only had heartburn while I was pregnant. But it was pretty painful; it would burn my throat and make me very thirsty. I know it may not always be what wakes him up, but sometimes I think it is. I'm glad we did what our hearts said and not Ferber.
I just wish I wouldn't have second guessed myself so much in the beginning. Kids aren't one size fits all.

2 comments:

kalea_kane said...

They definitely aren't one size fits all! :) I think that many of us go through what you did. Eventually, I got comfortable with trusting my own instincts. :) Thanks for sharing!

Kayla said...

Man he is so creative! My kids would just simply say my ear hurts! haha