Emilia told me about a pasta dish that she makes for her kids, and today we made it. She uses orecchiette pasta which translated means "little ears." I was going to do a whole theme thing with the boys and let them watch Shrek for the first time and gather up all our green toys, but I couldn't find that shape at Crest. I did find the wheel shaped pasta and so I told the boys it was tractor wheels. Here is what I did:
1) Steamed half a bag of frozen broccoli, pinch of coarse salt and one small piece of garlic in the microwave.
2) Added two tablespoons butter and some olive oil and blended it. Emilia uses either, I decided on both. Drew sprinkled in some Parmesan cheese. Let boys push the blender buttons. They eat so much better when they help me make it.
3) Meanwhile, cooked half a bag of pasta wheels. Let boys play with other half. Made them pick it up. (hey- you have to boil it, it will be fine to eat another day.)
4) Stirred it all together in the bowl that I steamed the broccoli in.
Results- delicious! Despite my efforts David begged for red wheels. And, since he usually insists on eating his pasta plain and I had some tomato sauce leftover, I gave in. I am counting the fact that he ate pasta with any sauce on it as a win. He loves broccoli, so it surprised me that he would only try one green wheel. Drew never will eat much broccoli but he LOVED it. I ate a bowl too and thought it was great. So- thanks Emilia!
6 comments:
I'm so doing this.
i'm going to try it. i can boil and steam....i think.
Great idea--I think I will use the oil and the butter too :)
That sounds yummy.. thanks for sharing, and I love the pictures too!
Great Post! Can't wait to try it!
We will try this too! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment