Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Kansas City

One of my many cousins who is around the same age as me named Patrick got married this weekend in Kansas City. Keith and I packed up the boys and left Friday morning. Our first stop was in Broken Arrow, to let the boys play at McDonald's and see their grandparents. They got to run around and stretch their legs. David and Drew had already eaten sandwiches in the car- we figured it was pointless to make them sit and ride and then sit and eat. Then, Drew napped and David watched Charlotte's Web (cartoon version and I forgot the beginning is kinda disturbing) on the way to Harrisonville, MO, where we stopped to see Keith's older brother's new house.


After playing outside it was on to Liberty, MO where we stayed with Keith's best friend since high school named Zach. He and his wife have four kids and we had a blast staying there and watching the kids play.


In the morning, we went and checked into the hotel, saw my parents and some other relatives that were staying there and then went on to do some sightseeing. The only bad part of the whole trip was when the boys got way too hungry and were already too tired (we were trying to nap them late so they would make it to the evening wedding) and they sat and wailed in the middle of a T-Rex restaurant. Drew finally started eating ketchup off of a plate and we got our testy waitress to bring David a Sprite. After burgers they were fine and they napped from 2:30-5:30 in the hotel room.




David sat through the whole wedding and Keith nicely watched Drew for me. We stayed for a bit of the reception and I got to introduce the boys to lots of relatives including my Great Aunt Jo that they had not met. Since we were dressed up and the boys had napped so late we went for a ten o'clock snack at the hotel restaurant and listened to the jazz singer. Probably not the kind of thing I would have ever thought to do with a one and a three year old, but it was really memorable.




Not finished yet- my cousin Jamie is dating a firefighter and they offered to show the boys around the KC station in the morning before we got on the road. So at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday morning that is what we were doing. On the way home we stopped in Wichita and saw my sister and brother in-law and kids again (they won't move to Harrisonville until June) and ate lunch and THEN we drove home!

6 comments:

Gena said...

Oh my goodness. That's a crazy weekend. I love road trips, though. Thanks for the sleeping tip. I may try it if I get desperate enough...

Unknown said...

Great, Great story and really good pics!
Love it and I was there!!!!

Unknown said...

Not Sam! Gram!!!!

Jessica said...

Sounds like a busy, but fun weekend. I love making memories like that.

The Hudkins Family said...

We are glad you got to stop by both times. Love the pics of the kids!!

April said...

I am glad the trip went good and I am proud of you for taking it! I hate packing for trips because I have to pack the entire house up!

Emilia is in the states?