Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sports, germs, and things I like

I need to post about a lot of things. All of David's t-ball pictures are in Keith's phone. I don't think I will wait until I figure out how to get his phone and put them on the computer. David begged us to play and I think sports are great for active kids. I am not down with the "everyone wins" philosophy. My competitive sons need to lose early and often and learn how to deal with it now. Also, t-ball/baseball is kinda complicated, but I think it's safer than football and I would rather David get the basics down now. All that being said, I think seven o'clock games on school nights are completely ridiculous and I have spent the last few weeks belly aching about them. David did grin from ear to ear in the dugout with his buddies and loved hitting the ball. He came a long way on fielding and enjoyed the entire season. We'll think about spring ball later. He definitely wants to keep playing.
I think Keith should get a medal for coaching Drew's soccer games on Saturdays. Yup, big brother chose a sport and little brother wanted to play one too. So we dove in and signed Keith up to coach. Here is all I will say on this matter: Keith has one kid still in diapers and another kid who runs off the field, rolls around in the middle of the game like a dog, and sometimes just chooses to lie down among the kicking cleats. He does all this while his parents chat to each other from lawn chairs. We are pretty sure they signed him up for the free babysitting. Keith spends a lot of time carrying this kid to sit by me until he is ready to follow the rules. It's a bummer that Drew's asthma has been bad, because when he feels like playing he does fantastic.
As flu/cold season approaches, I am trying to think of a good answer to, "We are all sick." That's the comment I got from a mom at our neighborhood park the other day. She has a three year old who is also a close talker and loves David and Drew. I just about died. It came out that he was recovering from pink eye and she and her husband just felt terrible in general and had stomach issues, but, "They had to get out of the house." And apparently spread their germs. What do you say to that?
Things I am loving right now are-
1) Banana Babies from Target. They are frozen, chocolate covered bananas. Delicious.
2) Getting picture books on CD from the library. It's so nice just to snuggle up and listen to books with the boys after a long day of talking at/to them.
3) Setting the boys alarms to come on with music when quiet time is over.
And the music should be coming on soon. Over and out.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

am sending you a sports related article that you will enjoy in just a minute.

OK Chick said...

Banana Babies from Target. They are frozen, chocolate covered bananas. Delicious...must try.

Emilia said...

I love the picture I get of Keith diapering kids on a soccer field, with the other kids running cirlces and picking dandelions, and Drew scoring goals for both sides while carrying big trophies on his shoulders. Of course, you are on the sidelines listening to motivational books on CD and eating bananas, but you have a mask on David so he doesn't catch germs. Actually, this is the reason the crazy moms here (Italy) won't let their little kids play soccer... they might get sick playing out in the unpredictable fall weather. Anyway, just kidding, except for the part about Italy, but it reminds me of last year's trial dance class for 3 and 4 year olds. It was quite painful to watch... lots of fluttering butterflies and little girls that just wanted to throw the classes' big excersise balls around. It was even too much for the very mature Rachel who wouldn't stop telling the very "professional" young teacher her life story... then I had a barely 3 year old little boy trying to go out on the floor with his "friends". Disaster. Love hearing your stories, though!

Catcher In My Eye said...

My visual was big diapered boys kicking soccer balls wearing pollen masks, snacking on chocolate bananas while listening to books on CDs, while running to t ball games... I miss the chaos and the fun and the sticky little hands and hugs and kisses! I do not miss pink eye...WEAR Sun glasses around the close talkers!!! Lol.
Love,Mom