I can't believe Drew is two tomorrow. I remember the afternoon he was born like yesterday. Drew-Bee knows that tomorrow is his birthday and is really cute and excited about everything. We have been telling him about going to the hospital and how he was born on Friday the 13th at 3:21 on 7-13-07. It's kind of over his head. Just like the fact that we are waiting until his Italian cousins come to Oklahoma before we have a little party for him is too hard for him to understand. Don't feel bad for him though, tomorrow brings cupcakes and a twilight trip to Pelican Bay.
And because I am going to one day print these postings in lieu of a baby book, I'll add something else that he won't really grasp for years to come. Here goes-
Dear Andrew Ace,
We love you so much. Your dad and I are both second born children. And I suffered for years from a Jan Brady complex. We want you to know that although you are our "#2" you are not second place in our hearts. We didn't have you just so David would have a best friend. We had you because we wanted another little boy so badly. Don't ever think I wished for a nanosecond that you would be a daughter. I didn't. Everyone assumed I wanted a girl. Nope- I wanted you. My little blond boy with the one little white curl at the back of his head.
You are perfect. You are loved. You are so special. Our family wouldn't be complete without you. Dad and I are constantly impressed by your determination and how you approach life.
Today, I feel that a chapter is closing; two year old's quickly turn into big boys, and although there is a lot of baby left in you, I know it won't be that way for long. The only thing that keeps me from being so sad about you getting older is the fact that you become more FUN every day. We loved you as a tiny, helpless newborn. We adore you as an active, happy, quirky toddler. You aren't second fiddle to David and you definitely aren't second rate to anyone. You just happen to be second born and are loved first rate.
Every day with you is a blessing. We thank God for you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
And because I am going to one day print these postings in lieu of a baby book, I'll add something else that he won't really grasp for years to come. Here goes-
Dear Andrew Ace,
We love you so much. Your dad and I are both second born children. And I suffered for years from a Jan Brady complex. We want you to know that although you are our "#2" you are not second place in our hearts. We didn't have you just so David would have a best friend. We had you because we wanted another little boy so badly. Don't ever think I wished for a nanosecond that you would be a daughter. I didn't. Everyone assumed I wanted a girl. Nope- I wanted you. My little blond boy with the one little white curl at the back of his head.
Today, I feel that a chapter is closing; two year old's quickly turn into big boys, and although there is a lot of baby left in you, I know it won't be that way for long. The only thing that keeps me from being so sad about you getting older is the fact that you become more FUN every day. We loved you as a tiny, helpless newborn. We adore you as an active, happy, quirky toddler. You aren't second fiddle to David and you definitely aren't second rate to anyone. You just happen to be second born and are loved first rate.
Every day with you is a blessing. We thank God for you.
Love,
Mom and Dad
4 comments:
happy birthday drew!
well put natalie...so sweet.
Happy 2nd birthday! Such a sweet post Natalie.
Natalie, I just pop over here every once in a while from Amanda's blog, but I just had to comment. I love the letter you wrote. It is so sweet, and well-said. I'm the oldest, so I can't understand the feelings of a second child, but this post definitely helped me. I appreciate you sharing it with us all. It just gave me a little insight into my 2nd child's world, and I need that quite frequently. Thanks again. -Amber
What a lucky boy! Happy birthday Drew!
Post a Comment