I keep seeing this on a Pepperidge Farm truck while driving around town. There is a picture of a gigantic loaf of bread on the side. The bread is now faded and it doesn't look that delicious. What does that slogan even mean? If I buy more expensive bread or Milano cookies will my day be less ordinary? I don't even eat sandwiches for lunch, I eat Lean Cuisines. And the other day I had pumpkin ravioli. That wasn't ordinary.
Today we went to the park, bookstore and McDonald's drive thru. Now that may sound ho-hum. Except I met my good friend Amanda from college at the park. And since she lives in Washington it was out of the norm to see her. And Emilia's here. From Italy. So getting to see her and her kids is a definite bonus.
The bookstore? Hmmm... I am going to have to say that taking the boys to buy two birthday gifts there isn't a tame activity. Plus, it's Crazy Daze which means there was junk for sale outside the store as well as in. Doubly hard to round both boys up. There were fifty cent wind up toys and I bought two. They are a good restaurant toy. Anyway, I said to Drew, here let's get your chicken (David picked a skeleton, Drew picked a chicken wind-up toy.) David dropped the toys he was playing with in the bookstore and said, "Oooh I want to eat some chicken too." He then proceeded to beg me for Chinese chicken with red dip. And what do you know, there was a Chinese restaurant right next to the store. That didn't have one single customer in sight when we walked in. And it smelled like they had been cooking carpet and caterpillars in the back. So I marched the boys right out. Which caused a whining for chicken. "My tummy is so hungry for it." How about a Happy Meal? No dice. Luckily I reserve the right to make many of the decisions. And once I handed back a cheeseburger the sweet and sour chicken was forgotten. Crisis averted. Sort of. Still had to drive home while contorting my arm back to hand out food to two very, very hungry kids. Almost home. Kids eat quickly and ask for toys. My crafty reply is that they can have them when they are upstairs and in their beds. So while I try to eat a quarter pounder and drive I stuff two Teeny Beanie Baby koalas down my shirt. My pockets are already full with a pacifier and a rubber ball. Get out of car. Boys collapse and say they are too tired to walk. I drag them in and catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror. The stuffed animals definitely give me a more womanly appearance but combined with the bulges in my pocket I looked like a lopsided transvestite. Oh well, no one to see me.
If I ate sandwiches for lunch, could my days be more ordinary?
2 comments:
you make me laugh natalie. keep it coming!
This is hilarious!!!
Post a Comment