I am really, really glad that Christmas falls in the winter. Every year at this time I think of how in the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe the White Witch makes it always winter and never Christmas. The winter and cold would seem so much worse if we didn't have the holidays to brighten things up!
Last Sunday, Keith's brother and his family were in town, and his younger brother drove in as well for a family dinner. Unfortunately, Keith's parents were still in Florida buying furniture for a condo that they just bought, and although we missed them, we had a good time! David and Drew's cousin Aubrey is one day younger than him, and the boys' cousin Blake is about two months younger than Drew. It was very fun opening presents together and watching the kids play!
We even made a gingerbread house together. Keith's brother Wes' girlfriend helped. She is awesome with the kids and I really hope she becomes a Hudkins someday!
David sorta remembers last Christmas, but this is the first year he really knows what is going on. I want to start lots of traditions that they will look forward to every year. Hence trying to build something out of frosting with two three year olds while two one year olds watched!
On Monday and Tuesday we didn't leave the house! Luckily, the boys love the new toys that their aunt got them, so it wasn't too bad. They really did well playing inside and we stayed in our pajamas both mornings.
I took the pictures of the boys with the Santa hat, because I came upon David trying to stuff that hat (size 3-6 months and they both have Charlie Brownish heads) on Drew's head. Here is the thing- we can't get Drew to hold still to be dressed or to change his diaper to save our lives! I literally have to do a song and dance routine (Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes) in order to change that rascal's diaper. Another bit of irony is that David has to be persuaded a little bit to put clothes on himself. Yet, David has all of the patience and time when it comes to dressing Drew up and Drew will be as still as can be for David to do stuff to him. I have also come upon David tweezing Drew's belly with big plastic tweezers from his doctor's kit. Drew just stood there holding his shirt up with all of these little red marks on his tummy while David "doctored" him! Anyway, by the time I grabbed the camera it was too late. They make me laugh even now as I type this.
By late Tuesday we were fed up with being in and I gave in and brought their trikes in from the garage. I blared Amy Grant's Christmas CD (I think it has been twenty years since I have been listening to those same songs) and let them ride around the house. Needless to say, we got out this morning for some fun and some of the boy's favorite- Chinese food!
4 comments:
we stayed in the past few days too...sometimes it just feels nice to not have to go anywhere.
i agree with the holidays lighting up the cold, wintery dread of winter.
and finally, maybe if you didn't run around the house scantily clad then the boys would have more interest in getting dressed also.
I have started wearing more clothes. It saves on heating. You know how it is...
I love Amy Grant...baby, baby!
I can honestly say I have never made a Gingerbread house :(
To answer your question about bunko...we have a list of subs from church who are willing to fill in when someone can't be there. I love it...it is my one night of freedom a month :) Each player takes a turn hosting it and making dinner. We pay $60 at the beginning of the year to help with food and with the 4 $10 gift cards we purchase. You should start a group up. I have all the rules and score cards typed out and can send them to you.
We had a blast!! The kids love their giant panda and Aubrey loves her new book Pinkalicious. We've read it about 30 times!!
Post a Comment