Friday, December 12, 2008

It Happens

So, I got a speeding ticket this morning. I was trying to do too many things before eleven a.m. and rushing and so I shouldn't be suprised that I saw flashing lights in my rearview mirror. It's such a bad feeling knowing that you are caught red handed doing something wrong. And then to have to pay the fine when it comes at the worse time of the year adds insult to injury.
We have a phrase we use around the house when something goes wrong or a disappointment occurs. We say, "it happens." David has started shrugging his shoulders and saying it when Drew spills something or David himself breaks a car, etc. Sometimes, things happen and we give David a consequence. I caught him spanking Drew and sending him to time out the other day (yes, Drew went to the time out chair and seemed to accept the punishment.)
I want David to know that frustrating things occur and we don't lie down and kick and scream when they do (it is actually Drew that does that these days...) We just go on with life. I am proud of how he has come to handle pitfalls and that he has adopted this outlook. It is probably hard on David in his three year old world when ice creams fall off their cones or when Drew rips his pictures.
Probably just as hard as when a poker faced cop pulls me over and sternly tells me to slow done. So, to use my own words, I guess I'll just accept my "consequence" say "it happens" and go on with my day.

5 comments:

April said...

Sorry you got a ticket! I have had my fair share. :( Did you get your new bed?

Jessica said...

but sometimes we do kick holes in the wall of our apartment if we're upset.

i hate getting tickets. i got one taking camden to the pediatrician this summer in colorado before we moved. and then as the cop handed me the $120 ticket, she said "slow down, you've got precious cargo". i know it was the truth, but i honestly just wanted to punch her.

Natalie Hudkins said...

April- no new bed yet, we have to wait a few more months. :(
Jess- I had flip flops on when I kicked that hole, and I repaired it, so it's like it didn't even happen!!!
Both you girls make me laugh! I think my Christmas wish is going to be that you guys all move back!!!

Jessica said...

what kind of bed are you getting? i want a king size bed because i just think troy and i must be outgrowing our queen. we fight like children every night about getting our "sides". this may sound ghetto, but you know where actually has a new bed that i want....walmart. no kidding. it's in their canopy furniture section. i swear it looks just like a pottery barn set...except it's dirt cheap. and just think you could return it at any time. ok...this is clearly the longest comment ever. i should have just emailed.

Anonymous said...

As a recovering "habitual reckless driver" (that's the label the State of Texas gave me), I know that horrible feeling of seeing the lights in your mirror all too well. Me and Stef are going to be in Edmond for the next week. We would love to see you guys, and let y'all meet Jed. We'll try to get in touch with you while we're there. Have a good Christmas.

Joe David