Sunday, October 5, 2008

Taste D and Cowboy Confusion

This past week I took David to "school." Actually, I just found a two hour drop off class with lots of movement that fits with our schedule. Oh, and since he is Captain Separation Anxiety, they said I can sit in a chair until he feels comfortable with me leaving. Since my mom nicely agreed to watch Drew, while I do this, things are a LOT easier!
David was very excited to go, especially since he knew I would not be leaving him. I did tell him that I was not going to sit with him, play with him, sing etc. Instead, I would stay in a chair and read the whole time. My last words to him were, "Have fun and obey your teacher."
He eagerly went in, and, during the first ten minutes looked back and grinned happily at me. After that, David did not care at all if I was there, but I promised I would stay and so I tried to read. At one point, I heard the teacher say, "Trace the Letter D and then you can go into the art room." Next I heard, "NO! David don't lick the letter." I kinda laughed to myself at my little weirdo and made a mental note to tell Keith. In relaying the story to Keith, he, of course, was quick to point out that David thought the teacher meant taste the letter, since he had never heard the word trace before. He was just doing what he thought he was supposed to do. Bless his heart. All in all he had a great time, the class was perfect, and I think he should be comfortable enough for me to leave him there soon!
As I mentioned above, Keith just gets David and is the perfect dad to him. We have kind of gotten in a habit of each taking a boy- Keith- David, Me- Drew. However, the older Drew gets the more I see that Keith and Drew will have the same great relationship that Keith and David have. In fact, although the Dallas Cowboys were playing, Keith ran upstairs when he heard Drew wake from his nap today. Keith then told me that he was explaining that they don't root for the Cowboys (OSU) on Saturday, but they do cheer for the Cowboys (Dallas) on Sunday. Drew looked so serious and was allowing himself to be held that I had to snap their picture. As soon as I took it he wriggled down and Keith solemnly told me that "these things are confusing for little babies."

No comments: