Monday, August 16, 2010

Some tips, maybe they'll work this time

David is starting school on Thursday. New school, won't know a soul in his class, but he is pumped and counting the hours. I think I am going to have to work really hard to keep it together as he walks into that big elementary school building. He's ready for pre-k. I am glad it's only half day.
If I cry, I'll be shooting myself in the foot because Drew will be with me. And he'll start school the following Monday. Anyone remember what a colossal bust his five weeks of mother's day out were? I think half day preschool will be much better for him. After all, his teachers have already come to visit and shown him pictures of the classroom. Oh, also, he'll have an open house on Friday and get to go play in the classroom. Did I mention his BFF with be in his class as well? Drew seems pretty excited.
All the same, I am pulling out some old tricks.
1) Read "The Kissing Hand" and "I Love You All Day Long"
2) Give as many choices as possible on the way to school (what do you want to listen to on the radio, who do you want to sit beside, do you want to open the door, etc.) Ultimately, they'll go into their classrooms, and feel like it's their idea and that they are in control the whole way.
3) Spend a little extra time laying stuff out and doing prep. work so that their is absolutely no hint of rush or stress in the morning.
4) Continue praying for a good school year for all of these kids and teachers and ask you to pray specifically for David and Drew as well!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Cason starts all day kindergarten next year and I'm already sad about it. This morning, we walked by his school and there were kids going in and I said, "Next year, I'll take you to school and pick you up. Sometimes Daddy may be able to pick you up." He said, "No, I think I just want to ride my bike to school." (sniff...tear)

Good luck to your boys! I'm sure they will do great!

Kayla said...

You are so good Natalie. I'm thinking everything will go great!

Jessica said...

natalie you have prepared them so well and they will do great. and when you walk out after dropping off drew the first day and both your boys are in school and you have a little free time...call me if you need someone to chat with!

Gena said...

You are such a smart Mom and teacher. This will in no way be like last year's five weeks. This sounds like it will be right up his alley. He will love making some new friends in that sweet little raspy voice of his, I'm sure.

Emilia said...

They'll do great and you will love having them in school! Rachel keeps making plans to do stuff with David and Drew on "Sunday" because she knows they'll be in school during the week... she can't seem to remember that in America the kids don't go to school on Saturday!

Shannon said...

Wow.. sounds great Nat. Savor the moments, they will be in high school soon enough. Emilia, really school on Saturday, I could totally get used to that!