Sunday, July 25, 2010

Well, obviously

Of course, since I wrote a couple of posts ago that three was a great age, I would be jolted back to reality.
Someone please tell me that the one Hep A shot that Drew got at his three year old appointment on Thursday is what caused him to act demon possessed on Friday morning. The. Worst. Fit. Ever. In front of lots of people. Lasting a total of forty-five minutes. The only thing that I can figure out is that he was very, very, very tired and very, very, very hungry. This red faced screaming banshee was not the kid I know. My kid definitely does not bite his brother and hit me repeatedly saying, "I don't wuv YOU!" That's eighteen month old behavior if you ask me.
Drew hasn't been napping lately. He thinks he can handle it, but his growing body disagrees. Also, an infant eats less often than Drew does these days. He has the appetite of a ranch hand. No Honey Nut Cheerios for him, ma'm. Well, he would eat them, but he also needs a side of scrambled eggs and some bacon. Maybe some ham and gravy too if it's not too much trouble. We feel like we need to fill our pockets with meat for him to snack on before we go out. I may have to venture to the Beef Jerky Emporium.
I will not let everyone who says that three years old is worse than two years old be right. (That sentence is awkward, but you get it.) The only thing I can figure out that we did differently with David was that we were on a strict routine and schedule because Drew was fifteen months old and life was just easier that way.
I can do strict routines. It drives everyone around me batty, but to have a good relationship with Drew, well, I'll do it. On days that he doesn't nap, he has to be asleep by 7:45. End of story, or the next day is even more terrible. And while not having to be home for naps did have it's appeal, I think we need to be home and at least having a long rest every afternoon.
Wish me luck.

5 comments:

Gena said...

Love your new blog look! See you tomorrow.

Kayla said...

I even make Avery still have nap/quiet time! I need that hour or two of silence, not being asked a million questions, and not hearing arguments! It's nice for everyone!

3 was worse for both of mine. It was literally the day after their birthday they decided they would fight bedtime. Both at two would be tucked in and would go straight to bed so sweetly. At 3 they would fuss, cry, keep coming out, and would never stay in their bed. It was a good 6 months of never sleeping on their bed and not falling asleep until 10! Crazy!

Emilia said...

Hmm. I was going to say it, too. 3 is worse than 2. Well, it was for Rachel. Sorry. Like your new blog look, too!

Jessica said...

i have heard that so many times recently...and if it's true, then i am in for a ride. you do such a good job though, i'll just look to you for advice once i get there. hang in there, you've got less than 360 days until he's 4.

Shannon said...

I think 7:45 pm is more then generous.. my goal with Braddock on nonbusy nights is 7:15... BTW my 4 yo was super bad tonight, tipped over huge bucket of tiny legos, I had to get him to bed. So who to the rescue? Blake, my live in Manny.. lol. So off kicking and screaming lil' one went, and was asleep in no time, and I went on a walk.