Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Enrollments

I enrolled both boys in elementary school today. It was kindergarten enrollment day, so I got to fill out thirty minutes of paperwork for David to keep attending a school he already goes to. Go figure.
The bigger event of this morning was going to Drew's speech IEP. If you aren't familiar with that term, IEP stands for individual education plan. After working with our school system, videotaping Drew and waiting, I have gotten him speech services.
Today's meeting was to sign off on his speech goals. And fill out the paperwork for him to be an "itinerant" student. I have sat in on tons of IEP's and signed my name by the "classroom teacher" line. This morning, David's teacher signed by that space and I initialed and signed on all the "parent" lines.
I am so thankful for nice people. The guidance counselor, school psychologist and speech pathologist were all wonderful. See, what I didn't realize when I was teaching was that when it comes to your own kid, especially when they are being flagged as having a problem, it's real easy to get emotional. I kept it together, but there were a few times, when I felt my throat get choked up. When the speech pathologist read about Drew being above average academically and on target socially and emotionally I started to feel the sting of tears. Thank goodness he has those tools. And when she read that if left untreated his stuttering may affect his interpersonal relationships I wanted to cry. But I didn't. It pains me to think of my kid who has so much to say unable to say it at times. So much so, that when other people bring up the stuttering I get pretty prickly.
My biggest lesson that I have taken from this is that you don't really know how something feels unless you have gone through it. As a teacher, I would have seen this as very minor. A speed bump. A hiccup. As a parent, this morning was huge. It was the last step in getting Drew help in becoming more fluent in his speech.

5 comments:

Elizabeth Mullins said...

Natalie, I learn so much from you! You are such a good teacher in and out of the classroom! Thanks, friend! Drew has the best Mommy in the world!

Natalie Hudkins said...

This won't even be a hiccup to Drew and he will never know that it was all thanks to your hardvwork, long hours, and never settling for letting him struggle through. The boys WILL realize how blessed they are to have you as their mom, but it will because they married someone as intelligent, compassionate, and wonderful as I did. We are three lucky guys.

- Keith

The McDowells said...

Hey Natalie,

I have been so terrible about blogging and reading friend's blogs, so forgive me if you have talked blogged about this and I am way off...

Anyways, Charlie had a VERY noticeable stutter for well over a year, just in the last month or so it has faded away. Just one day over a year ago he started stuttering. It was the kind where he would repeat words over and over, like he would say "Mom, mom, mom, mom, I, I, I, I, I, I, I, I need need to go, mom I need need to go go go go potty." It was just like that and some days were even worse. It definately had me concerned and I really thought it was going to be a lifelong issue. Thankfully, I never heard anyone say anything to Charlie about it (Macy one time asked him why he repeats his words all the time though.) Other adults would ask me about it alot (thankfully not in front of him), so I knew it wasn't just something we were really noticing. The more I read about it, the more I learned how common it is for boys around this age and how a lot of them will grow out of it. Anyways, I don;t realy know really have a point to my comment, just wanted to share.

Drew is blessed to have a great mom!

Gena said...

I was already tearing up and then I read Keith's comment. He is the best. YOU are the best and you are such an amazing Mom. This will be a sweet memory some day of the little (big) boy that stuttered. End of story. He will get over this with great teachers and a great Mom! Love you.

Kayla said...

Ok. I totally teared up at Keith's comment. Natalie- if you ever want to homeschool other people's children...let me know!! For real!