Monday, December 13, 2010

Staying humble

All weekend, Drew only wanted Keith to wipe his bottom. Sunday, Drew said, "I only want Daddy to do it, because he is so much better at wiping bottoms." I am hoping Keith doesn't get too cocky about this. It's a skill he can be the master of. I'll leave him to it.
Despite not caring to wipe his own fanny, Drew has gotten quite adept at coloring. He may be addicted to it. Yesterday, at church, he bragged to his friend Sydnee, "I'm wheely gweat at coloring."
"That's the truth," I agreed.
"God's truth," Drew bellowed as he watched Syd color Strawberry Shortcake.
I am glad Drew has noticed that he is good at art. Last week he told us he was fat. He compares himself to David and right now; there is only a four pound difference between the two. Drew isn't fat. Just solid. It's like someone shrunk Keith's body when you look at Drew. This is probably partly my fault, I think I have said things like, "He's a huge three year old," within earshot of Drew. Keith remembers comparing himself to his skinny older brother. We want him to like himself and not see his hero David as what he is supposed to look like.
Yesterday in the car we were talking about our family motto. It's "No whining!" We like to say it quickly with a thick German accent. We tell the boys that "no whining" is the Hudkins' way. Keith then said, "And Hudkins are the best." When I argued that this was going a bit too far, Keith countered with, "Humility is easier to teach than high self esteem. They are the best." It made me laugh, because while I haven't read that in any parenting book, it does seem logical.
So there you have it. Keith's your man if your rear end needs wiping and Drew is the best color-er. And it's fine to brag about these things because, well, I guess I would rather deal with a bit of arrogance than an eating disorder? Hmm...

5 comments:

Jessica said...

those are some wise words...keith for president.

Kayla said...

Haha. So cute! I agree by the way!

Gena said...

I love love love your posts. That's really all I have to say. (Yeah, I agree with Keith too).

Elizabeth Mullins said...

HAHAH! I love it!

The Hudkins Family said...

Tell Drew that Uncle Ryan isn't all that skinny anymore. Someday David might have a belly like Grandad too!