Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays, and this year's was good! My boys got to see three of their great grandparents! For the first time since 2004, I am neither pregnant nor nursing over the holidays! And for that I am thankful! The weather was beautiful, the boys got to go outside and play football with their dad and uncle, and on the way out of town we got to see the best Christmas light display. However, I am ashamed to admit that I got a little mopey on the long car ride home from relatives. I was thinking of Thanksgivings that I used to have- my fabulous cousins and I would have finished the dishes and gone to the movies or played cards. Instead, I was sandwiched in between car seats passing out McDonald's french fries to two worn out boys, one of whom had a stinky diaper. I just wanted to be home and I was wishing that Keith's family and my family lived in the same town so we could have seen both sides of relatives. Then I got a text. "How was your Thanksgiving?"
And I remembered. My friend had told me weeks ago that she wasn't going to be able to make it home for Thanksgiving. She is currently living across the country and alone with her three year old while her husband is on duty in Iraq. Yikes! There I was in my car with my smelly little family and yes, we were tired, but we were all together. Needless to say, I snapped out of my bad mood really fast. I texted back that I was thankful for HER and the sacrifices her family is making for our country.
I really don't have anything to complain about and when I think of things in perspective, I am very thankful!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

It's hard to keep perspective like that sometimes...but we do have much to be thankful for. Is that Rhema I see in the background there? Seems like I remember a Kappa Banquet there...oh that makes me laugh.

Natalie Hudkins said...

It IS Rhema! Wait a minute... it is all coming back to me- that was a great banquet- we had good times, didn't we?

Melinda said...

Natalie!! So great to see you on here. I found your blog through April's. You have a beautiful family!