Last week, we had a class playdate at the park. Only four kids showed up. Bob was among them. Somehow, in the crawl tunnel Bob bit David's head. And Bob beat up on my little cousin who was also there. My cousin doesn't go to school with them, he was just hanging out at the park with his mom. Apparently Bob doesn't have to know a kid to hit them. Today, David told us that he had to run in the hall at school. David didn't want to run; it made him sad to break the rule. But Bob was trying to get him. So at dinner we did some more practicing on what David should say to Bob. Instead of, "Stop that," we told him he can say in a really rough voice, "CUT IT OUT, THIS IS GETTING REALLY OLD, BOB!" I think I may have to schedule a conference with the teacher if I keep hearing about this. Under no circumstances will I tell one of my kids to hit back. I think that sends a bad mixed message.
It also came out tonight that Bob watches his dad play "Halo." Maybe it's his dad that needs a time out?
The boys got out their stuffed animals today and asked me to take pictures of them with their favorites. I love how innocent this age is. I dread the day they realize that carrying around blue plush dogs is a babyish thing to do. Aside from our blankeys and animals, we're about as rough and tumble as you can get around here. I don't mind a little bit of horseplay, but you can't blame out and out bullying on "just being a boy."
5 comments:
That last sentence made me laugh hard. I didn't see that one coming. I find it hard to believe that any other little boy would pick on your little Keith clones. They will, no doubt, regret it someday!
The child is half David's size. I think David could take him down in about two seconds! But we won't tell David that. :)
I would have a hard time not going over there, pushing that kid down, and telling him he better not touch my kid again. Ha. Oh Lord help the day my kids get picked on...I will probably need therapy :)
I laughed at that last sentence too! I can soooooo imagine Drew saying that! Poor David! That is a tough one. I hope it gets worked out. You know, the Italian way... if the parent doesn't speak up at the park... you're allowed to tell him to knock it off. Good luck!
BULLY Bob (& Tom) have not met the firm hand of Gram! Maybe I live in another era, but as a preschool teacher, I would want to know if a student was hitting, biting or kicking another student...David may be TAKING it and dealing with it on his level, but the next little kid to get picked on by Bob may get a skinned knee, etc. :(
As Judge Nancy Grace, "Swift Justice" said, when a recent playground scuffle broke out when one little girl called another little girl "DORA" and then got her tooth punched out..."where were the parents?"
As Barney Fife use to say,"Nip it, nip it, nip it! ",
(before this Gram- Grizzly volunteers for playground duty with a paddle in her back pocket :)
And that goes for Drew at school, too...Tom, I know who you are! LOL!
Post a Comment